We are now in October, which also means we are in Autumn so the nights will start drawing in and the cold days will begin. However, this doesn’t mean the work in your garden should be stopping. We maintain a lot of garden designs throughout the Autumn and in the month of October there is still plenty to do.
1. Now is the time to plant Daffodil, Tulip and Allium bulbs. Plant these now and come spring you’ll have a stunning display in your garden.
2. Net any ponds to prevent falling leaves falling in.
3. Clear your lawn of leaves – It is important to do this regularly and not leave it until every leaf has fallen off the surrounding tress. Your lawn still needs sunlight in Autumn in order to stay healthy.
4. Weather permitting, mow your lawn once a week before frost sets in.
5. If you have any fruit trees or plants in your garden now is the time harvest any fruit left on the trees.
6. October is the time to prepare for Spring, it may feel like a long way away but just think how quickly this Autumn has come around! Plant your spring bedding such as Bellis and Wallflowers.
7. If you have tender plants in the garden now is the time to either bring them inside or move them into the greenhouse.
8. Now is a great time to start your compost if you haven’t already done so. Buy yourself a bin and add vegetable peelings, clippings, cuttings from your lawn, tea bags and you can even compost your used ground coffee!
9. Don’t neglect watering, it’s easy to think that because it’s Autumn the rain will be sufficient for watering plants but always keep an eye on their soil to ensure they don’t dry out completely.
10. And lastly, weeding…does it ever go away? Try and keep those those borders as tidy as possible before the weather becomes too wet to get out there.
It’s hard to believe Autumn has come round so quickly but before we know it it’ll be Winter then Spring again! Let us know if you’re going to be out in your garden this weekend over on our Twitter.